Or: the Trials and Tribulations of an Uptown Girl with a Boyfriend from Old Europe

My Photo
Name:
Location: Basel, Switzerland

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Deliver the puddings or the blog gets it...

I was quietly catching up with blog reading this morning when the latest recipe at Once Upon a Tart jumped off the screen, dove straight for my stomach, and took it hostage. At least, that's what I assumed happened, because after that, said stomach started to send out distress signals, and nothing would satisfy it except a batch of the mouthwatering Yorkshire puddings that Myriam had just posted about.

Fortunately, the puddings were phenomenally easy to make, requiring nothing but a bit of flour, milk, eggs, and salt. The only thing about the instructions that made me pause: Myriam specifies that the batter should rest for an hour. I briefly considered following the instructions to the letter, but the hostage squealed in alarm. On went the oven. In went the custard cups I was using in lieu of muffin tins. Ten minutes later, out came a lovely, buttery-warm aroma. Gorgeous golden puffs followed in short order.


As soon as they were cool enough to handle, I ripped into one. It was a revelation: crisp outside (though the rest softened by the time I got to them), and soft and tender inside. Though Yorkshire puddings are traditionally eaten with gravy and the Sunday roast, I made a pretty good lunch out of them and the wonderful bauern ham we get at our favorite butcher.

They were so good that I couldn't stop thinking about them all afternoon. My stomach kept sending out hopeful queries: is it dinner yet? What about now? No? Then can we make a snack?

So on the spur of the moment, I decided to introduce Swissy Pie to the joys of British cuisine. But I wanted to play with the recipe a bit. I happened to have two egg whites left over from making Hollandaise sauce - more on that in another post - so I subsituted them for an egg. And because the Yorkshire puddings reminded me of gougeres, I chopped up a bit of Gorgonzola and mixed that in, too. (Yes, I probably should've used a good English Stilton or something like that, but Gorgonzola was what I had in the refrigerator.)

Wow. WOW. WOW.

After the first bite, Swissy Pie asked, "What's this again? It's really good."

That's high praise from him. Usually, to indicate his approval, he says, "Not too bad."

Yes, I cheated a bit. I know he's a sucker for anything with blue cheese in it. But still, it really was scrumptious.

What was that? Oh. Just my stomach, informing me that very soon, we'll again be making some version of Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire Puddings with Gorgonzola

  • 100 ml milk
  • 40 g flour
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tbsp Gorgonzola cheese, finely diced
  • oil for ramekins, custard cups, or muffin tins
In a bowl, mix together eggs and milk. Add flour, and whisk until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps left. Stir in Gorgonzola, making sure the pieces don't stick together. Set aside.

Take 3 ramekins, custard cups, or muffin tins. Pour approximately 1 Tbsp oil into each container. (The bottom should be covered with oil.) Place the ramekins on a rack in the middle of the oven.

Turn on the oven and preheat it to 220 C. Once the oven is at the desired temperature, carefully pour in 1/3 of the batter into each ramekin. Be careful, as the oil will be hot.

Immediately close the door and bake until the puddings are puffed and golden, 10-15 minutes. (This will take longer in non-convection ovens, and if the recipe is doubled or tripled.) Do not open the door prematurely, or the puddings will fall.

Yield: 3
And don't miss Myriam's recipe over at Once Upon a Tart!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Alla said...

you rock, i saw this recipe in a magazine and thought uuuu that's nice... but filed it under (when i have a whole day and when i have custard cups... or muffin tins... and when i learn to use the oven..)

ahhh.. the barriers of life

April 19, 2007 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger naechstehaltestelle said...

When I first moved here, I was watching BBC all the time. I found a great recipe for brioche bread and butter pudding and am now forever in love with British food. With Alexandra putting a recipe on, too, I feel like I should put something up.

April 19, 2007 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger myriam said...

look at you - rocking the kitchen. your yorkshie looks perfect! mine look a bit like they have no-one who loves them...
did you hear someone wanted to kill little cute knut today?

April 19, 2007 at 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo hoo. this looks fantastic! and nicely written. you're funny :)

April 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ok - that is so yummy looking! What a great post and thanks for the well wishes... I am so busy right now, no real time catching up. ;-)

April 19, 2007 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Un-Swiss Miss said...

Ale - These are SUPER easy, just use whatever oven-proof stuff you've got on hand. Cake pans, whatever - just for bigger ones, you'll need longer baking times.

NHS - British food is surprisingly good when made well, though the names continue to baffle me. (Spotted dick? Really, who wants to order that off the menu?) When are you going to post a recipe?

Myriam - I can't resist the urge to play. The kitchen's my favorite place in the house!

As for my Knut - can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to go after him. They must know they'd be ripped from limb to limb if they were caught!

Jessica - Thanks! My somewhat dry sense of humor usually doesn't make it through on screen, so it's nice to know. =)

Expat Traveler - Good luck with all your swim meets, red tape, etc!

April 27, 2007 at 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I need to make these!

May 1, 2007 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home