Or: the Trials and Tribulations of an Uptown Girl with a Boyfriend from Old Europe

My Photo
Name:
Location: Basel, Switzerland

Friday, October 13, 2006

Alpenmacaroni (or something like it)

Since I'm about to go off to Switzerland for 2 weeks, I've allowed my refrigerator to get depressingly empty. Aside from the expected condiments, there's only milk, a handful of brussel sprouts and some random chunks of cheese: a slab of Gruyere, a scrap of some sort of blue cheese, and a block of cheddar. Not a very inspiring set of ingredients for lunch.

Fortunately, I almost always have dried pasta in my pantry, so I decided to make a version of Alpenmacaroni, only without potatoes, and without onions. (I ran out of those, too.) OK, so it was more like American mac 'n' cheese, only with fancy cheese.

  • 1/2 box (8 oz) dried pasta, cooked and drained
  • 2 cups grated cheese (ended up being about half Gruyere, half cheddar before I chopped up the blue cheese and mixed that in, too)
  • 2 cups milk
  • salt
  • pepper
  • nutmeg
Cooking the macaroni's the most difficult part. Once that's done, just mix all the ingredients together in a big casserole and stick it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 F. When the cheese is melted, give the whole thing a stir with a spoon and serve. If the sauce is too runny, wait five minutes. As it cools, it'll thicken.

Given how easy this is, and how good it tastes, I'm sure I'll make some variant again in the future. (Though I'll probably use a little less milk next time... with these proportions, it was still a tad runny for my tastes.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home